donderdag 1 oktober 2009

It started with a kiss....

A brief introduction;

When and were my profound passion for Roma and their culture first started is still obscure to me. Vaguely I remenber the magical attraction to the logo printed on the "Gitanes" cigarrete pack the old man down our road used to smoke while sipping on his four o'clock Pastis. But my first clear recalling of Gypsy beauty certainly were the "dark eyes" Géraldine Lambert had. This ravissant young manouche I was lucky enough to have as a neighbour while I was living in a tiny village in the south of France drove my young man's heart and mind crazy. And when I finally got the chance to kiss her I knew the love for the roaming people was here to stay.....


"Dark eyes"

A small lifetime later I am the one roaming the world with my television camera making reports in all the wonderfull aswell as scary places on our planet, thirsty to understand human kind and it's sometimes strange behaviour while Géraldine got married and lovingly nurses her children some ten miles away from where I first met her.


Some of the places i've been.

My passion for music starts to evolve and I find myself playing loud Balkan Beats on the car stereo longing for wodka drenched nights on a riverside along the Donau.The silence violently smuthered by drunken trumpet players and skinny vagabond dogs howling at a swolen moon.

And then; all of sudden; along came Jimmy......


Jimmy Rosenberg - Sweet Georgia Brown -

....and my passion got a goal.... I was going to play the guitar like a Gypsy (or at least I would try to)

This blog will document my journey into Gypsy Jazz as I hope to grow step by step and learn everything about the "Rom" and their music. Please feel free to inform, correct or assist me as I go on!

Alexander Koning


Click to read entire weblog!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten