maandag 15 februari 2010

Talking all that Gypsy Jazz....

Freakin' Phrygian;

Since Gypsy Jazz has alot to do with, eh.....Jazz I thought it might be clever to learn something about this style of music. I had already heard about arpeggios and chord progressions and I slowly start to be able to put both of them together now. Still I was curious so I ran a Google search on "Jazz Guitar".

This was one of the first sentences that came out under beginner lessons:

"This G Mixolydian scale is the V of the C major scale. The G Bebop Scale can be played on most chords that are diatonic to the key of C major, but not on the C major chord itself because the F is an avoid note for the C major chord".
source: www.jazzguitar.be


WTF?!!?



Bireli Lagréne, Gypsy Jazz God

So now what? It all seemed very confusing to me... Talking about this with a musical friend of mine (Frédéric Zolnet) he told me he recognized the problem. Pentatonic, Diatonic, Dominant, Sub Dominant and freakin' Phrygian. But then he told me not to worry. He had read an interview with Bireli Lagréne whose answer to the question: "Wich arpeggio do you play over a Deminished Chord?" Simply was "Wich what?! do I play over what?"


Click to read entire weblog!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten